Effervescent Life!
Friday, February 17, 2006
Or is it?
The thought that counts anyway? Why do people always say it's the thought that counts when they know you are disappointed in something? Why must I smile and pretend that someone has made a grande gesture.....When they haven't?
Example:
For my birthday this year my DH baked me a surprise birthday cake. My heart swelled, and I was really feeling the love for him, until I walked close enough to the cake to actually see it. The MoFo got my age wrong. No big deal, right? Except he also SPELLED MY NAME WRONG. So there I was with a plastered on smile while the whole time I am thinking "What the fuck is wrong with him?!". I kept telling myself that it was the thought that counts, but on the other hand I was completely baffled at the thoughtlessness. I mean, for heavens sake folks, we have been together for 9 years!

Now not to rip on DH, he's just full of good material in this department.
Example #2:
When he helps me clean, he rearranges stuff at the same time. He proclaims that this will make things easier for us, but it is almost always stuff that I, only use. Putting stuff in an unhandy place is not helpful!
Now here's the dilema. What do you do? Smile, nod, pretend, and run the risk being in the same position again? Or cross the line into bitch, and say something? Maybe the line between thoughtfullness and gaining brownie points is rather blurred, and like art, is in the eye of the beholder?