Effervescent Life!
Friday, June 09, 2006
The Dream.
I had one of those dreams the other night that sticks with you even though you have no idea why. Maybe putting it in black and white, or rather black and lime, will help.
First we, my DH and I, are driving along a scenic route next to the lake. We start to pass this quaint eatery, when I suggest we go in. The style reminds me of gingerbread houses, and it is reddish. When we get inside it is little more than a deli, but we decide to stay. DH orders, and chats with the wait staff. When it is my turn to order the guy behind the counter gets gruff and walks out on me. It doesn't seem pointed at me, but rather he needed to take care of something outside. So I wait, and peruse the menu. Nothing looks good, but I decide on a Cookies N Cream ice cream cone. I tell the girl behind the corner that that is all that I want, but she just gives me a look. Kind of like she can't get my order without the owners approval, and I should very well know that. Meanwhile DH gets his food and sits down to eat. I go with him. The wait staff (all women) all chat him up, and I really don't mind, but they refuse to help me. The owner even comes back to chat with DH, but goes back outside immediately following, and I don;t seem to be able to get his attention. 2 hours go by, and DH is done having fun at the diner and we leave.
At this point I am upset, and start to argue with DH. He feels it is no big deal. I tell him that I am very hungry-starving actually, and I would like to get something to eat. We get into the car and the kids appear out of nowhere in the back seat. DH says we will stop, but first he needs to stop somewhere real quick. I am not happy, but DH will not budge. We argue some more.
All of a sudden we(DH, myself, and kids) are on this weird house boat. It looks like somebody lifted up a residential house, porches, decks and all, and stuck them on a floating raft! So there we are, and I am still not happy, and still very hungry. Surrounded by strangers other than the shop owners whose home this happens to be. DH takes off to hang out with the guys on the "front porch" totally ignoring me when I tell him we need to leave. Nobody will talk to me. I play with the kids in the front room trying to keep them in the house. DH does not want them outside because A) it is dangerous and B) he does not want to watch them. So I pretty much stand guard at the front door while people come and go, making sure my kids don't escape. The women are in the kitchen, and they simply don't talk to me either, but everyone is giving me looks. I'm starting to feel like I am in high school again. Like I forgot to do my homework or something. DH comes in at one point and I beg him to take care of the kids so I can go outside for a minute and get some air. He begrudgingly obliges.
I go out to the back deck, and there is some girl out there. She just rolls her eyes at me. I try to engage her in conversation, but she interrupts me halfway with a sarcastic sigh, and gestures toward the door. I listen, and I can hear my cell phone ringing. I go to get my cell phone to see who called. All of the cell phones have been placed on top of this gigantic fridge. I have to get on my tiptoes just to reach them. I keep grabbing other peoples by mistake. Finally I find my phone, and glance to see who called, but at that moment I hear the owner guy cursing in the living room. I run to the living room to make sure my kids are ok, and I see water gushing in at the bottom of the front door. When the guy opens the door I can see a boat arriving in the distance.
The boat pulls up, and it is my Uncle Jeff. He isn't my real uncle, but him and my dad were best friends when they were younger, and they used to party. Apparently, this is the reason we came to the houseboat. Nobody tells me that. It's just what I glean from the conversations being had around me. The owner knew my Uncle Jeff and somehow knew we knew him, and invited us all to the houseboat. I start to collect my kids and their toys because I have had enough and I'm sooo done with all these people, DH included. Now I can't find DH. I hear some noise in a back room of the house, and follow the sound. In the back mud room there are about 4-5 men milling around smoking pot. One of them is my husband. They all glare as I come in the room. I tell DH, WE NEED TO LEAVE NOW. He is smiling sheepishly, says ok, but makes no attempt to get up. Exasperated, I leave the mud room.and then I wake up.Weird, weird, weird, weird!