Effervescent Life!
Friday, June 02, 2006
Not Your Average Shoe Fetish.
I was pregnant with my first born in 2002, in MO, and miles away from family and friends. My mother and sisters took pity on me, and came to visit that late spring. We gabbed about the upcoming baby, and what I thought the sex would be. I told them, even though I would have loved a girl to be born first, I was sure it was a boy. I was right, and I digress. One of the many things we did while we were together was shopped. We had a lovely outlet mall with great deals. One of the shops we loved the most was a shoe store.
Now before you nod, and acknowledge your own shoe obsessions, you should know that I hate shopping, and have no great love of shoes. I did however fall in love with a particular shoe. A bastardized tennis shoe at that. The Skechers athletic mule. So basically it looked like somebody had cut the shoe off behind the heel. But I was in love. Completely white with the trademark *S* in white rhinestones. I walked away from that store empty handed, but came back later because I couldn't get that sneaker out of my mind. I bought it and took it home.
Do you know how hard it is to get used to a half of a shoe, after walking in the sedan version your whole life? Yet, I persisted, and grew to appreciate those shoes more every day. Eventually I threw my old tennis' out. Why would I need them with my new, super terrific sneaker mules?
I finally retired those shoes in March '06. I never bought another pair while I had them. That's right, for 4 years I wore the same tennis shoes every day, and they still looked damn good.
But alas, they were no longer that comfortable, and a shoe shopping I did go. I looked everywhere, high and low, for the perfect athletic mule to replace them. Sadly, there were none I could approve of. At the end of my shopping rope (have I mentioned I despise shopping) I bought some Reeboks. Hated them. Took them back and bought the regular Skecher tennis. I like them.......But I long for my mules.
I miss them. I don't want to have to put my shoes on. I want to slip my feet into my shoes. I'm lazy like that. I don't want to have to kick my feet out of my shoes, I simply want to walk out of them. Is that really too much to ask? I don't think so. I've been sneaking around in my old sneakers, to my new shoes chagrin.
I don't care. I'm in love with a pair of bastardized shoes, damn it.