Effervescent Life!
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Experiment In Green
eig
I make a kick ass turkey/tuna or chicken salad spread. Everybody here loves it. I've been hoping to modify it to make it vegetarian. So yesterday I did a little experimenting.

1 cup: Cottage Cheese (yum)
6oz plain yogurt (nice and smooth)
1 Bunch Broccoli: chopped (looking pretty tasty)
Now here's where it gets a little shaky.

3/4 dry pesto packet (WAAAAY too much!)
and a half a can of Peas.
Peas? Why peas, you ask? Because I didn't soak any lentils, and I didn't think kidney beans would work. I have NO idea why I thought peas would. Peas should not have seemed like a good idea on any level. I should have known. I do know that now.

I lovingly spread this concoction on bread for my kiddos and myself. Heathens seem interested......Until they actually take a bite. Mommy Heathen takes a bite to model how "good" it is. MH chokes back tears of disgust, finds kids something else to eat, and
What do I do with the container of horrible nastiness?
Do I throw it in the garbage? No.

Do I wash it down the sink? Nope.

Do I throw some tequila on it, light a match, and curse it to hell? Uh uh.

I put it back in the fridge with a smile on my face, and a plan on the brain.

Daddy Heathen comes home after work. I immediately tell him how "wonderful" my new recipe turned out to be. "It's the best stuff I have ever made!" We sit down to a pleasant meal of lasagne, but I can tell DH is intrigued by the new stuff. He claims to be still hungry after dinner, and would like to have a sandwich. MH can hardly contain her wicked smile.

He takes a bite, and starts chewing hardily. Then the chewing slows down, until you can tell he's not sure whether to spit it our or attempt swallowing. He swallows.

Me: "Tastes a bit like vomit doesn't it?"
Him: "I cannot believe you let me eat that!"

Oh yeah. It was some baaaad stuff.


eig1