Effervescent Life!
Monday, June 19, 2006
Would You Like Some Plastic With That?
The other night on the newsance I hear them doing one of those filler pieces. You know the ones. "How to protect yourself from killer mosquitos!" "How many credit cards should you carry." "Purple is the new blue." Random stuff they blather on about that isn't important, but they pretend it is because it has been a slow news day. Here was the jist of the one I saw:
Q: Do dioxins, which are carcinogenic, from plastic food containers break down when frozen or microwaved and contaminate the food?(Now this seems a simple enough question to get a fairly basic yes or no answer right?)
A: Dioxin amounts from frozen or microwaved plastic are not considered harmful.(So if you are like me, you know that the answer is YES they do break down into food-at least thru microwaving-, and although nobody knows for sure what level is safe, scientists think that they are relatively harmless at this amount, at this point in time)
See, I get a lot of flak for trying to weed out the things that I think can be harmful to my families bodies. I know that there are things out there that don't cause disease by themselves, but I do believe that certain things contribute to disease, and I want to protect my children from those things as much as possible too. Our bodies were not created to consume plastics. However, our bodies do a pretty good job of cleansing themselves. I'm not going to freak out about every little thing, but I'm not going to facilitate disease either.
Anyway, if you want to know how to heat your food safely, just put it on a plate before you microwave.
-End Rant