Effervescent Life!
Monday, February 20, 2006
Watching Grass Grow.
So the outlaws were here this weekend. I really enjoy when they visit. The heathens have a great time, we eat good food, and when the kids go to bed we play card games. Now we usually start out with Bid Euchre. I don't blame you if you've never heard of it. It seems to be a regional thing. When we lived in MO, nobody knew how to play euchre, bid or turn-up, except us Ohioans. So we rarely got to play. I love this game. It is a lot of fun. It requires some concentration, cajones, and strategy.
Except when you play with my outlaws. I don't think I am ever as frustrated as when I am playing with them. They are not competitive about it at all. They play with bids of one, and bids of two (not a two bid for those of you who know what I am talking about). Honestly, at least half the hands played ended with a bid of two. These are VERY low standards for the game. One person should almost always be able to bid 3. Apparently, this was simply a friendly game. Unfortunately, this make for fairly dull activity. Here's the coversation I was having with myself while we were playing.
"This gum is not so good. Yep, I think it has lost all of its flavor. I should've gotten a new piece. Oh great, now it tastes like wax! I wonder if I can blow a bubble with it this way? ...........nope. Getting a bit hard. Yep, I should definately have gotten another piece."
Sadly, I had more than one conversation with myself about the gum! LOL!
By contrast my circle of friends does not allow any bids under a bid of 3, except a 2 bid (not to be confuse with a bid of 2). If everyone else chooses to pass, then the dealer gets stuck with bidding three. Getting set is just something that happens during a game. They are super competitive, though still remain friendly games, even if someone does get obnoxious. Games have been played where everybody has quit because both teams were -30 points. To win you have to have +32 pts. Euchre is one of those games where you should be scared out of your mind, and feel a little sick after you bid, or you shouldn't play at all! There are plenty of card games out there that lend themselves well to fluffy socialization. Euchre aint one of them!
For the record. Me and the MIL won.