Effervescent Life!
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
What's up with the Pomegranate?
It's a fruit. A very odd fruit. My first experience with it is when my DH bought some on a whim to try. I refused. I don't eat fruit that looks like the brains of aliens, thankyouverymuch. Anybody that knows me knows that I had a healthy fear, yes fear, of fruit (mostly apples). Eventually I read some great stuff about pomegranates. It is chock full of antioxidants. Great for the body! Thought I would pass it on. From Wikipedia:

The juice of the pomegranate has been tested in several human clinicals as effective in reducing several heart risk factors, including LDL oxidation, macrophage oxidative status, and foam cell formation, all of which are steps in atherosclerosis and heart disease. Tannins have been identified as the primary components responsible for the reduction of oxidative states which lead to these risk factors. Pomegranate juice has recently been tested for its efficacy against prostate cancer. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/uow-cpp092205.php

So now I drink POM. It has a very heavy, distinct taste. I even lace my kids juice drinks with it. Truth is, that when I am drinking it I'm not positive I even like it, but when I don't have any in the house, I'm craving it. It's like crack for the heart. I guess I can live with that.
Happy drinking.