Effervescent Life!
Sunday, September 17, 2006
The Great Baby Doll Debate
Which is, of course, only going on in my head.

I want to get the Heathen Girl, pictured here, a baby doll for Christmas this year:


rs3

But I didn't know where to start. Is it important to have a baby doll that looks like oneself? Or more important to have a doll that that differs in appearance to oneself? The only thing I do know is that I am way over thinking this.

However, I watched a show on Friday that leads me to believe HD will be recieving an ethnic baby doll this holiday season. It was 20/20 or Primetime, etc. The journalist did an experiment with young kids and asked them to describe what they thought about pictures of white people, and people of color. Overwhelmingly the kids (all races) had better things to say about the white persons. In fact when shown a picture of Timothy McVey and a black gentlemen, and asked which one they thought was a teacher, they picked TM (shudder)! The black gentlemen was a Harvard grad.

I'm thinking it is uber important that HD grows up in a diverse society. If we cannot provide that by zipcode alone then we sure as hell can make sure her tea party guests are multicultural.

------------

In a not really related tidbit, Heathen Son has weaned his baby dolls and stuffed animals. Now when he plays with them, and they become "hungry", he offers them their thumbs or paws, instead of the "breast". LMAO.


sh1

He's awefully proud of his accomplishment, isn't he?

*Yes, this entry was really just a shameless attempt to show off my heathens!
1 Comments:
Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...
Heathens? Well, adorable!